Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Only the classy horses, please.

I want my next painting to be one of these. At least one of them is a pastel, so I get to play around a little  more than usual in making it into a painting.

Which one? (hailie...)

The Start of the Hunt by Edgar Degas, 1863-1865.

Racehorses at Longchamp by Edgar Degas, 1871.

Racehorses at Longchamp by Edgar Degas, 1873.

Before the Race by Edgar Degas, 1882-1884.

Race Horses by Edgar Degas, 1885-1888.

I'm really excited. I have never tried horses in a medium besides colored pencil. And any of these would look southern classy in the front sitting room, yes? I love how Degas seems to outline his subjects, and almost colors in the lines. It boosts contrast and keeps things from the overworked look. Because his style is a bit unique- the sketches show the varied speeds and motives of the subjects- it might be hard to emulate. But my version of his work probably won't get this lifeless...

The Fallen Jockey by Edgar Degas, 1896-1898.

Heh heh heh. Sorry Degas. That one wasn't your best.


Be strong and let your heart take courage, all you who hope in the Lord.
Psalm 31:25

1 comment:

  1. Hi.
    I really like this one: The Start of the Hunt by Edgar Degas, 1863-1865. because of the bright yellow sky,

    And I like this one lots too: Racehorses at Longchamp by Edgar Degas, 1871. I think its my favorite overall. I don't know exactly why. I just really like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete